Philips may be most well-known for lighting fixtures, but the company has slowly expanded into healthcare in recent years. This expansion includes AEDs. Philips AEDs are varied, with functions ranging from user coaching to complex data management. Most importantly, Philips AEDs are simple and quick to use in any situation.
Philips Home AED
The Philips HeartStart Home Defibrillator is meant to provide peace of mind at home. It’s designed for easy use and reliable performance. In addition, no prescription is necessary for purchase.
- The Philips Home AED provides voice instruction to walk you through key steps of CPR
- Smart AED pads adjust instructions based on the user’s actions
- “QuickShock” technology allows for lightning fast treatment
- This Philips AED includes a waterproof carrying case
Pros and Cons:
- Pros: Lightweight & portable
- “Home” model is less expensive than other comparable Philips AEDs
- Again, no prescription necessary
- Cons: No feedback on quality of CPR treatment
- The warranty of the Philips Heartstart Home Defibrillator only covers malfunctions at home
The Philips HeartStart OnSite Defibrillator is virtually identical to its Home counterpart. It offers the same combination of easy operation and great portability, but is meant for use in a larger variety of settings.
- The warranty of the Philips HeartStart OnSite AED covers use in any location
- “OnSite” models are generally more expensive than “Home” models.
Philips FR3 AED
Designed for use by professional medical responders, the HeartStart FR3 is a lightweight yet durable Philips AED. Along with the advanced features seen in the AED models described above, the FR3 is meant to streamline a professional’s work and save valuable time.
- “QuickShock” technology and SMART pads (see Home description for details)
- ECG cables are included in this Philips AED for patient monitoring
- A rechargeable battery option is convenient for frequent users
Pros and Cons:
- Pros: Pre-attached pads help speed up treatment
- Easily adjusted for use on children or infants
- Weighing in at just 3.5 pounds, the Philips Heartstart FR3 AED is incredibly portable
- The FR3 AED is tested to US Military standards for durability
- Cons: This Philips AED is only for use by trained medical professionals- not readily available to the general public.
Philips FRx AED
The HeartStart FRx is an incredibly versatile Philips AED - it’s meant to be used by CPR/AED trained individuals in any location. CPR Coaching guides users step by step, while a durable design ensures it can weather the elements.
- “QuickShock” technology and SMART pads
- Simple, step-by-step CPR coaching (similar to Home/Onsite AEDs)
- The Philips FRx AED is built to resist damage from water or being dropped
Pros and Cons:
- Pros: Easy to adjust for use on children or infants
- This Philips AED weighs just 3.5 pounds
- 8-year warranty from Philips
- Thorough self-testing means the FRx AED is always ready to go
- Cons: Despite easy-to-follow coaching, the FRx AED is only recommended for use by those who have prior CPR/AED training.
- Though it’s simple and portable like the Philips Home and Onsite models, individuals can’t buy it without a prescription.
Philips AED 2018 Recall
It’s important to be aware that a number of Philips AEDs were recalled during 2018, following evidence of electrical components failing to deliver a shock. A CBS report estimated that the number of affected devices exceeded 600,000. Both Philips and the FDA stressed the importance of keeping a recalled AED even if it’s being replaced, as an unreliable AED is better than none at all. Philips offers replacement AEDs for recalled Philips AEDs under warranty, and offered trade-in rebates for those with expired warranties.
To obtain a replacement or rebate, contact Philips at 1-800-263-3342.
The Bottom Line
Philips specializes in manufacturing AEDs that are quick and easy to operate, which can minimize delays and save lives. When purchasing a Philips AED, it’s important to note who and where the defibrillator is designed for, so that you have the right model to meet your needs.